Washing Machine Cleaner
Musty smell from Washing Machine
What ever you might call this. I call it a problem and the sooner I understand and the sooner it is fixed, I can go back to the easy life.
Washig Machine Smells Problem
The washing machine smells because with front loader washing machines, the door must completely seal to prevent leaking. The seal is air tight as well as water tight. The old washing machines that were top loading didn’t have this problem becasue the door on top alowed air in to dry inbetween loads. So when it is damp and wet in the washing machine and the tempeture is hot like during the summer, it is perfect conditions for mold and mildew to grow. Another contributing factor is too much soap. If you are not using a HE detergent and or a low suds detergent then the washing machine smells can be from the suds getting into areas that dont get rinsed causing mold and mildew in those areas.
Solutions for your washing machine smells problem.
- Wipe down the rubber door gasket with a mold and mildew cleaner or bleach will work. Clean it real good.
- Run a wash cycle with very hot water / sanitise cycle using bleach and no detergent.
- lastly, go to the store and buy a product designed to eliminate the washing machine smell.
Ongoing solutions to help with the washing machine smells problem.
Easy things do to prevent the washing machine smells.
- Leave the door open between loads to allow it to dry.
- Periodically wipe off the door gasket with a mold mildew wipe.
- Use the correct type and amount of soap.
Other ideas for the washing machine smells problem.
- Run a cycle with vinegar instead of detergent.
- Change from liquid fabric softner to a powder.
- Use a tabel spoon of HE detergent.
- Do a machine cleansing or cleaning cycle. Read your manual to see how.
- Clean the rubber seal with some bleach and then run a cycle with out clothes.
- After you wash your clothes, leave the door open a little so it can dry.
- Check to see if there is a manufactures recall on your washing machine for the problem.
- Check out smellywasher.com for a product that claims will fix the washing machine smells problem.
- Go to lowes, home depot, target, walmart or your favorite store and buy a washing machine cleaner product specially made to get rid of the washing machine smells.
- Recommmend the use of a high effiecy detergent that is designed for low suds.
- Main problem area is the rubber gasget or seal at the door. Use some bleach to clean it real good.
- Leave the door open between wash cycles to allow the washing machine to dry.
- Run a couple of loads without clothes using pinesol.
Last resort to fix the washing machine smells problem.
Pay someone else that has experience clean your washing machine. Most people call an appliance repair company to come out and do a service on it.
I hope this helps and this made it into one of those problems that a few easy things can fix and prevent.
There are a bunch of washing machine cleaners on the market. If you find one that works good for you then it is definately and easy fix to the washing machine smell problem. Please come back and post a comment and let us know what works for you. Below I will list a few for you to check out. It is not that they don’t work or you should be surprised if they do, long term they can not get into all the seams of the door gasget and keep the mold and mildew out. Most of them suggest you use them on a weekly or at least a monthly basis. Here is the list;
- Magic Washing Machine Cleaner (Do NOT use with Clothes in the Washing Machine)
- It cleans lime, rust, dirt, sediment, old detergent build up, and more.
- It also removes odor causing residues.
- It works to maintain the long-term performance of your washing machine.
- Tide Washing Machine Cleaner (Do NOT use with Clothes in the Washing Machine)
- Tide Washing Machine Cleaner takes a 3-pronged approach to cleaning:
- Fights odor-causing residues with a powerful oxygenated bleach system that gets at the source of the odor
- Penetrates & lifts away residues and deposits from the surfaces in your washer with specially designed surface active ingredients
- Freshens your washer, while leaving behind a crisp, clean scent
- Clorox Washing Machine Cleaner (Do NOT use with Clothes in the Washing Machine)
- It has the same claims as the other two.
- Recommend usage at least once a month.
To pick a washing machine cleaner most people start with a product or brand they trust. Most of us ended up with this problem because we came from using a top load washing machine that didn’t have this problem. Remember to help the rest of us out if you find some amazing washing machine cleaner. All the ideas listed above have proven to work great and the commercial products are coming around and improving all the time trying to take your money and making your task of cleaning your washing machine an easy things to do.